Well, we're here... YEA!!! Lots of packing, I should have taken pictures of that, because everyone that stopped in to help or pick up stuff could not believe that we were going to make it... we slept 4 hours on the 29th-30th and not at all on the 30th-31st. The 31st we called my family at 6am to help load up the last of the stuff. Our plane was leaving at 11:30am. Our vacuum died before it got to the living room. oops! Combination of hormones and not enough sleep was not helping with the goodbye moments. My family could tell you I cried buckets. It's hard to believe that I'm going to be gone a year or so. I barely made it through the semester of school I did away from home, I was trying to figure out how I was supposed to make it 3 times longer (potentially more) without my family. This time I do have Tim by my side to get me through. The other hard thing is the concept of no home. I was sitting in the airport thinking that if weather kept us from going, or we got here and they suddenly didn't like us, that we would have no home to go home too... we had given up our "home", our apartment, which had been home for the last 2 1/2- 3 years. It no longer existed.. it's hard to fathom... and nothing can really prepare you for that moment unless you do it frequently...
We slept as well as a person could on a plane. The flights were completely booked so we had no way of upgrading to business or first class. or even exit row seats which would have given us leg room. I fell asleep on the flight from Houston to Newark, NJ, and it took Tim a few minutes to wake me up. We both "slept" on and off on the flight from Newark to Madrid, but I was kinda shaky even after all that. The sunrise was amazing we were behind the wing so I got little peeks of it, but it was a rich red on the horizon that faded to a pink up in the sky... And the terrain. I was expecting it be flat but it's rather hilly here... we saw "mountains" covered in snow just a few minutes before we landed. The Madrid airport has several terminals, so gates have no meaning here. We taxied for 1/2 hour before arriving at our terminal. We were told to only take a 2 hour nap, so that we would go to sleep at the bed time here. But it took a bit to get up after the 2 hour nap and I kept noticing my head tipping forward as I was trying to do emails and facebook after I got up. We went to bed around 10:30 last night. and I got up a few times to go to the bathroom, but Tim nudged me at noon today and said, "honey, we should probably get up." I have never slept that long before. I'm still tired, but I think I can wait til "bed time" again. My plans of action today are to make something to eat and maybe start unpacking. :)
2 comments:
The most uncomfortable thing to me about moving is the fact that you have no home yet. When the babies and I came to Korea, we had to live in a hotel room for 2 weeks and then we moved into a cold, empty, and plain apartment that had linoleum floors and white walls with a small generic couch and the most generic government beds. It was like living in a box that had no warmth or sense of home to me.
It was really hard for us to adjust to our new "home", having nothing of our own stuff from before. After a while, though, we made it ours and especially after we got our things shipped here, we were able to put up our picture frames and carpet, etc. etc.
Anyway, I hope that with your guys' new place, you'll look at it and see potential, memories, warmth, and growth because I bet you, you will create some great memories while living in your new place!
xoxo
I know exactly how you feel. The whole no-sleep-before-you-leave thing & not knowing how you'll get everything done before going to the airport. I felt like that even coming back from Spain to the States. Trust me, you'll feel at home soon. It won't be the same, but it will be like home. I'm a very "home" oriented person, so it was rather unnerving to not feel like I had one. But embrace the challenge! Make that place feel like home using the least amount of money possible (since it's not a permanent home). :) Ikea can be a good friend. You can do it! After you get some rest. And coffee.
Post a Comment